Who are we?
A small product management consultancy that supports individuals, projects, & organizations that are tackling systemic issues in society.
What are recent examples of our work?
- Improving pregnancy outcomes through smarter EHR products with Dorsata
- Reducing food waste in the American food system with Imperfect Foods
- Increasing wind turbine energy efficiency through better data systems with Apex Clean Energy
What do we do?
To be honest, our work doesn't neatly fit into a box. We enjoy building things – organizations, teams, digital products, physical objects, etc. – and that manifests itself in different ways depending on the project & needs.
That said, the most consistent role we play is as a hands-on coach for teams trying to understand how their product is (or is not) being used, and how they can quickly & concretely test new ideas and improve performance. Specifically, we:
- Audit your current product strategy, UX approach, and data stack.
- Create gap analyses, roll out customer research processes, and instrument a data stack.
- Improve systems of prioritization & planning to iteratively run experiments that test outcomes connected to company goals.
The combination of our:
- (a) approach (favor concrete over hypothetical)
- (b) skillset (at the intersection of product/UX/engineering/data)
- (c) experiences (building products across domains for the last ~20 years).
You get experienced practitioners that can serve as an extension of your existing team through a mix of coaching and doing.
What is a loose sense of our process?
- What is the core value being offered to customers?
- How can you differentiate your product in the market?
- What are the key outcome metrics, both for customers and the business?
- What is the ideal customer journey that could step-change the outcomes?
- How can you tell a cohesive story that connects the high level to low level?
- Help craft interviews: what info to seek, what questions to ask, and what materials to leverage to get concrete feedback?
- Assess UX gaps: what are the existing vs. ideal customer journey diagrams, how to create interactive mockups/prototypes to leverage in customer interviews, what UX changes / trends / strategies might you consider to improve your existing solution?
- Audit metrics: what should engagement goals be, what of that is measurable today, how well are things going as of now, and how to better instrument the product going forward?
- Given strategy & discovery findings, what are key areas of investment / experimentation?
- What are technical considerations - buy vs. build, SaaS tooling, system architecture tradeoffs, etc?
- How to take those key areas and create a series of hypotheses & experiments?
- How to run and assess results of those experiments?
- What is an ongoing product development process that allows for a mix of long term planning & short term iteration?
Though we prefer to partner with folks who will handle the ongoing delivery of project build-outs (i.e. project management, software development, etc.), the areas we'll often take on more execution oriented roles are:
- Implementing the product discovery processes above (e.g. running interviews, creating prototypes, etc.)
- Setting up a data stack (e.g. web analytics, data warehouse, BI tool, ETL processes, etc.)
Reach out if any of the above sounds interesting!